How to Be a Successful
with Happy, Healthy Houseplants
If you have -- like I do -- a plant or two (or a dozen) in your home or office -- you're an Indoor Gardener
-- as simple as that!
The trick to successful indoor gardening, however, is a little more complex - but still easy.
You only need two things:
- - the right information
- - the right supplies
And let's not forget the most important ingredient -- a little love for your houseplants.
I don't know about you, but I receive much more from my plants than I could ever give them. Wherever I am there's a little bit of the natural world right next to me. The benefits are many, including better air, a relaxing hobby, and the beauty living plants supply.
Recently I moved from a home with five (small) outdoor gardens -- that was the hardest part of leaving Nashville. Moving state to state, I couldn't take any with me so I dug up my favorites and gave my green friends to my human friends. Now I live in a multi-unit building and while the landscapers do an amazing job with the plantings, I can't help with it -- not even the weeding.
I started this website because I love plants and I can't live happily without them.
When I found that I couldn't garden outside, I decided to increase my garden within my apartment. I can still put my hands in the soil, trim, shape, plant, prune, propagate, and live in the company of living greenery.
Here are some of my houseplants hanging out in their new home.
Some of you who find this website live in apartments or homes with little outdoor space. Others of you will have lots of outdoor gardens but want houseplants as well. I hope you all share my passion for growing houseplants and that the information and supplies on these pages help you become successful indoor gardeners!
So put on your gloves (if you use them), grab your trowel (or spoon), bring along your favorite green friends, and let's explore the world of bringing the outdoors in!
How to Use this Site
There's a lot of ground to cover (pun intended) with indoor gardening, including:
- Supplies, such as soil, pots, fertilizer, lighting
- Decor, such as placement and accessories
- Plant Choice, including plants safe and unsafe if you have small children and/or pets
- Health, including pests that love houseplants and seasonal schedules
- Edible Houseplants and Herbs
- Gifts for those who garden within their homes
To read about these and other topics, use the navbar in the left column for our main pages: those connect to pages with more detail on the topics. There's also a search box at the top of Right Column on most pages that will help you find what you're looking for on the site.
I'll be adding many more pages, including individual plants and their specific needs; the best supplies; decorating ideas; and creative ways to share your love of gardening in your home or office with others.
If there's a topic you'd like me to cover in more depth, please use this link to let me know.
So without further ado...let's dig in
and start Indoor Gardening!
Scroll down for our Table of Contents.
- 2012 Calendar
- Our own 2012 calendar for the indoor gardener with monthly to-do lists for healthy, happy house plants.
- Indoor Gardener Blog
- The Indoor Gardener Blog keeps you up-to-date with new pages as well as information about your houseplants, contests, and great tidbits to keep your indoor greenery happy and healthy.
- Disclosure Statement
- How <i>Indoor-Gardener.com</i> provides you with information and stays in business.
- Houseplant Questions
- Here's where you can ask your houseplant questions, whether you're a beginning Indoor Gardener or a decades-long aficionado - and get answers!
- Garden Calendar for the Indoor Gardener
- Here's a garden calendar specifically compiled to help the Indoor Gardener maintain healthy, happy houseplants - year round.
- Indoor Garden Pests
- The Indoor Gardener faces a particular group of garden pests. Be prepared to take care of any houseplant insects as soon as you see them.
- Care for Houseplants When Vacationing
- A personal account of preparing care for houseplants before going on vacation - or, how to return home to a healthy indoor garden.
- Chia Herb Garden
- Creating a Chia Herb Garden is easy for an indoor gardener. With a little attention, herbs or chia seeds, and a "pet," you'll have herbs sprouting in a couple of days.
- Chia Cat Grass
- Share your indoor gardening with your pet by planting Chia cat grass. Felines, dogs, and even pet rabbits will be happy - and more likely to leave your other houseplants alone!
- Indoor Organic Herb Garden
- Why not plant an indoor organic herb garden? It's easy for any Indoor Gardener and the benefits are great.
- Indoor Italian Herb Garden
- An indoor Italian Herb Garden is easy to plant. Whether you're an Indoor Gardener who cooks or eats frozen dinners, a fresh cutting makes your meals gourmet.
- Grow Your Italian Herb Garden Indoors
- The information you need to grow an Italian Herb Garden indoors with great success for any level of Indoor Gardener.
- Your Herb Photos
- Share your herb photos with other Indoor Gardener visitors.
- Cooking with Fresh Herbs
- Are you an indoor gardener who's cooking with fresh herbs that you grew? Share your recipes here!
- Your Indoor Garden
- Here's where you can participate with stories and photos about your own indoor garden. Share your experiences as an Indoor Gardener with others who understand your passion!
- Asparagus Fern
- Really a member of the lily family, the Asparagus Fern has three popular varieties, all easy for any Indoor Gardener to grow in pots or hanging baskets.
- Button Fern
- Everything the Indoor Gardener needs to know about growing the Button Fern successfully.
- Foxtail Ferns
- Foxtail Ferns, a variety of Asparagus Fern, tempts the Indoor Gardener with its lush color and architectural shape. Here's what you need to grow it successfully.
- Nephrolepis - Lemon Button Fern
- The Nephrolepis, or Lemon Button Fern, is one of the most pleasant small ferns an Indoor Gardener can grow. Here's how to keep it happy and healthy.
- Rabbit Foot Fern
- The Rabbit Foot Fern is one of the most interesting plants a beginning or expert Indoor Gardener can grow. Here's the info about identification, care, display, and conversation.
- Indoor Garden Supplies
- An Indoor Gardener needs surprisingly few garden supplies to keep common houseplants healthy. These are the indoor garden supplies to have on hand.
- Growing Ferns - Your Experience
- Share your expertise, questions, and pictures about growing ferns as an Indoor Gardener.
- Pet Safety Tips
- Including pet safety tips and lists about houseplants that are poisonous and safe for your dog or cat, as well as information direct from an ASPCA Veterinarian.
- Indoor Gardening Gifts
- Everything you need to know to choose great indoor gardening gifts for non-gardeners as well as another Indoor Gardener. Including garden calendar, antique garden tools, and more!
- Indoor Herb Garden Gift
- For holidays and celebrations, an indoor herb garden gift is perfect for gardeners and cooks alike. Find out how to choose the right one from all those available.
- Fern Life Cycle Overview
- Here's all the basics about the Fern Life Cycle that the Indoor Gardener - or other generally interested readers - need to know.
- Fern Life Cycle - In Depth
- Detailed information about the Fern Life Cycle for the science-minded Indoor Gardener, or for anyone interested in how ferns reproduce.
- Legal Disclaimer
- The limits of <i>indoor-gardener.com</i> - our legal disclaimer.
- About Me
- My story with plants, houseplants, being an Indoor Gardener, and how I decided to create this website.
- Visit the Sitemap to find your way around <i>Indoor-Gardener.com</i>--it's a quick guide to <i>all</i> the pages on the site. It's more detailed than that Navbar and just like a Table of Contents.